By February 2021, over 28,065,327 people will have been affected by the deadly COVID-19 virus in the United States. The virus isn’t just a threat to humans but our four-legged friends too. Animals can get the disease from infected humans and can transmit it forward. According to a CDC report, a large number of pets have tested positive for COVID-19.
Effective preventive methods against COVID-19 include sanitizing all surfaces after every use and avoiding contact with infected individuals. However, some disinfectants can be highly hazardous for your pets.
Here we give you a low-down on how to choose safe disinfectants for your four-legged companions during the pandemic.
Disinfectants to Avoid
- Bleach: Regular exposure to bleach can cause skin irritation and damaged fur. If your pet ingests the chemical, it may cause vomiting and stomach ache. Bleach can also harm the eyes, which may require an emergency trip to the vet.
- Isopropyl alcohol: It is the most effective disinfectant against COVID-19, commonly found in hand sanitizers and other disinfectants. However, it can be deadly for your pet as ingestion of Isopropyl alcohol can the heart rate to slow down, lower blood pressure, and cause breathing difficulties.
- Hydrogen peroxide: A common ingredient in cleaning and disinfectant products, it can seriously harm your pet’s eyes, stomach lining, and blood vessels. Keep it out of your pet’s reach.
- Phenol: Toilet bowl cleaners contain phenol, which is extremely dangerous for your pets, as its fumes can cause corrosive lung injury and irritation to bodily membranes.
How to Protect your Pets Against COVID-19?
Since most common disinfectants are unsafe for animals, you must observe these preventive steps to protect your pets against COVID-19.
- If anyone in your home is suffering from COVID-19, make sure they do not pet, kiss, or snuggle with the household animals.
- Avoid taking your pets outside unless necessary. And when you do, avoid all contact with outsiders.
- Stay away from all kinds of public gatherings.
- Don’t use any disinfectants on your pet and prevent them from coming in contact with freshly cleaned surfaces.
- Keep all your disinfectants and cleaning supplies locked away and out of reach.
- Use protective measures while taking care of your pet when you are sick. For example, wear masks and gloves while feeding or bathing them.
- Use pet-safe disinfectants that CDC and other reputable government organizations approve.
About HIRO Systems Hawaii
If you are looking for pet-friendly sanitizing solutions for your home or workplace, HIRO Systems Hawaii should be your one-stop destination. We use proprietary products, like TEG and HOCL, tested and approved as non-toxic by CDC, FDA, and EPA.
Do you need the best sanitizer solution for your home? If so, contact HIRO Systems. We offer a wide range of local sanitation services & solutions suitable for various commercial and residential needs. Visit our website to check out our products. If you have any queries about what we do and how our solutions work, reach out to us at (808) 359-2298. You can also fill our online contact form to know more.